Oh man. I finally released all of my Sci-Fi stuff out to the world. Let’s take a look!
Archive for 3d models
I took a few extra days I had off recently to work on exploring new tools, specifically Substance Designer (4). In this post, I’ll be talking about my first time experiences with it and directly contrasting it to my experiences with the Quixel Suite. My end target was Marmoset Toolbag 2, if only for general testing.
Okay so this is a little late going out. the main reason for the delay has been good news, and I wanted to make sure it stuck before I wrote up something on it. Also, here’s a fan!
Hey everybody! It’s been a little while! I have been busy and although I haven’t done any one thing that I feel is ‘blogworthy,’ I do have enough small things that are worth an update. If you want more granular updates, I post pretty actively on twitter, it’s generally the same content I post here, just more granular and with horrid compression on images. Plus you can get in contact with me, I’m using it as This post is just going to jump around a little more then usual, I just want to give an idea of what I’ve been doing without drowning you in transitional text.
Truth be told, I’ve had a few posts waiting in the wings, completely done, to be released (along with all the maps/models/textures and some dmx files) with a short film that was slated to be done about now.
It did not pan out.
I decided to write up a little history on where these models came from, and paint a picture of the community of olde. In the second half of this write-up, I talk about the more technical side of things with the current release, in terms of how, in about 10 steps. Intertwined are my opinions and personal approaches to things like private/public releases, and end-user accessibility. I also offer some offhand tips of the trade, specifically in unwrapping and texturing, as well as some things I learned in this project. If you want that, you might want to skip this first part, but I feel the purpose is as important as the technique. Also, word of caution, this is a technical article. If you don’t know terms used in source modeling, it might get a bit into technobabble.
Haven’t posted here awhile, so here’s some catching up.
First of all, been modeling a FAMAS F1 for my portfolio this week. Here’s the current WIP of it, as you can see, not much left now.
I’ve also got to play WH40k: Space Marine demo early since everyone who pre-purchased it on steam got early access to it. Here’s both missions on youtube. For some reason in the first one there’s a black/unrendered spot at 9:39-9:43, and I just didn’t want to rerender the whole video since that would’ve taken too long.
I’m also very eagerly waiting for Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad DDE beta, which should start any day now. Gotta thank a friend of mine (Jekko) for generously getting me both of those games though. And for BF3, well, I was very happy and interested and joyful about it at first, but after participating in the alpha and the recent news about it, can’t say I’m so happy about it anymore.
The BF3 alpha had some infuriating features that felt unnecessary and out of place for a Battlefield game, although it indeed was pretty fun and intense in some places. And while I don’t really play TF2 anymore, I recently took part in a contest at gamebanana, and got in shared third place with this entry.
Anyways, that’s pretty much all from me, been doing this and that and being bored and lazy as always.